Muzzle brakes for other weapons

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Muzzle brakes for other weapons

Postby teddy_d » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 pm

I'm looking at procuring a clamp on muzzle break for my SAKO 30-06.

So far the only unit that looks legit is the Grizzly Gun Works "Ghost Protocol".

Does anyone have any first hand experience whit this or similar clamp on muzzle brakes?

teddy_d

Re: Muzzle brakes for other weapons

Postby plant_one » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 am

ive always been leery with clamp on muzzle devices. unless the bore size is quite a bit larger than the projectile, damn well make sure you know its concentric before you send a projo through it. i had looked into something similar as a suppressor mount for some of my non-threaded guns and opted against it due to the strike risk.

obivously its less of a risk with a 2" device than it is with an 8" can on the end of the tube, but its something to consider before you inadvertently damage your barrel.

might be worth just having your barrel threaded - especailly for the $ of one of those brakes. adco does barreled actions for $140
https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithi ... ed-action/

so you can get your barrel threaded and put a ROSS on there for about the same $. and your options for muzzle devices increase exponentially.
plant_one

Postby teddy_d » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 am

plant_one wrote:ive always been leery with clamp on muzzle devices. unless the bore size is quite a bit larger than the projectile, damn well make sure you know its concentric before you send a projo through it. i had looked into something similar as a suppressor mount for some of my non-threaded guns and opted against it due to the strike risk.

obivously its less of a risk with a 2" device than it is with an 8" can on the end of the tube, but its something to consider before you inadvertently damage your barrel.

might be worth just having your barrel threaded - especailly for the $ of one of those brakes. adco does barreled actions for $140
https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithi ... ed-action/

so you can get your barrel threaded and put a ROSS on there for about the same $. and your options for muzzle devices increase exponentially.

Yes those are considerations that i have pondered.

Sylvania is only a 50 minute drive for me, so that is a great option!

Thanks Brother :ugeek:
teddy_d

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am

I don't know if Ross' follow-on (Kelly) will do the same but Ross made brakes for and threaded 3 barrels for me over the past few years. He even timed the brake to the threads so no timing shims are needed.

Nigh impossible to see where one ended and the other began. Best of all, it cost me $100 including return priority mail. Got it back 4 days after I put it in the mail to him! Might not hurt to see if Kelly is offering that service as well Link

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Firearms