Single Shot Accuracy

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Single Shot Accuracy

Postby WMax » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Hello everybody, I just joined the forum and would like to know if anyone has any accuracy issues with their CVA Hunter in 450 Bushmaster. Seems like it throws the second shot in a group of three out every time. Have killed four deer with it all with one shot so no problem but it is a little disconcerting. Hornady ammo, scope is tight, stock screws are tight, barrel crown looks fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance and for letting me join your forum.
WMax

Re: Single Shot Accuracy

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 am

Welcome aboard.

How far it tossing that 2nd shot and is it going in the same direction every time?
Al in Mi

Postby WMax » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:45 am

Seems to be tossing in different directions. The 50yd group had a flyer about 2” right with the other two touching. The 100yd group had two about two inches apart with the flyer 6-7” high. Scope is a very clear Burris 2x7 with the E1 reticle. Thanks
WMax

Postby Smokinbubba » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 am

I know this is an old thread but this is exactly why I bought my bca upper. I have a cva in 45/70 with the same issues. Factory hornady 325ftx’s. I really wanted this rifle to work since it has an amazing trigger right out of the box. Mine has Nikon glass. Same as my upper that shoots sub moa with .450 hornady black. I may work up a hand load but if that does not work, off it goes.
Smokinbubba

Postby WMax » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:21 am

It turned out to be a scope mount alignment problem. Mount was not aligned with bore enough to max out scope adjustment. Burris warranty clued me into this but I was doubtful, turns out they were right. Got some Burris Z rings with inserts that adjusted the scope so I no longer had to adjust point of aim as far. I use this gun in LA for their Primitive Weapon Season and did not kill a deer with it this year but it’s ready next time I need it. Sorry to post and then answer my own question but took me awhile to figure it out and someone else might have the same problem.
WMax

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:43 pm

WMax wrote:It turned out to be a scope mount alignment problem. Mount was not aligned with bore enough to max out scope adjustment. Burris warranty clued me into this but I was doubtful, turns out they were right. Got some Burris Z rings with inserts that adjusted the scope so I no longer had to adjust point of aim as far. I use this gun in LA for their Primitive Weapon Season and did not kill a deer with it this year but it’s ready next time I need it. Sorry to post and then answer my own question but took me awhile to figure it out and someone else might have the same problem.

All my many scope mounts are Zee or Signature Zee rings. They're the best IMHO. Properly torqued to Burris specs, they don't slip under pretty stiff recoil such as my 300 WM. I always put pencil witness marks on my scopes, ahead of and behind each ring, to keep an eye on slippage.

I just recently put a scope on a friend's 12ga pump shotgun that suffered from barrel droop that could not be mechanically corrected. If it were not for the Burris pos-align offset rings, I could not have gotten it sighted in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby s4s4u » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:03 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:I know this is an old thread but this is exactly why I bought my bca upper. I have a cva in 45/70 with the same issues. Factory hornady 325ftx’s. I really wanted this rifle to work since it has an amazing trigger right out of the box. Mine has Nikon glass. Same as my upper that shoots sub moa with .450 hornady black. I may work up a hand load but if that does not work, off it goes.

You had better accuracy with the BCA? Bear Creek Armory, BCA?
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:33 pm

Yes Bear Creek Armory bca. Maybe I got a good one but every time I squeeze off a round, a deer dies. 150,212,225,244,268yds so far. Bullet impacted exactly where my reticle was held. The 268 doe, 244yd buck, never took a step. DRT. Factory hornady blk 250grn. Meat in da freezer.
Smokinbubba

Return to Firearms