Loading for the Ruger Ranch Rifle

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Loading for the Ruger Ranch Rifle

Postby Tripplebeards » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm sure if you wouldn't have applied tape Your scope would have slid by now. You were ahead of the game. I'd still tell you to remove your base and at least lock tite the complete bottom to your receiver before heading out. It will save a headache in the long run.
Tripplebeards

Postby pnw » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Red or do you think Blue is okay? You are suggesting the entire base not just the screws, correct?
pnw

Postby Tripplebeards » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Yes, the complete base. I acraglassed my complete base to the receiver recommended by my smith. I'd tell you If you don't have any bedding compound To use lock tite red and completely cover the complete bottom of your base and screws. I used lock tite blue on my base screws when I acraglass bedded the base. It's up to you which product to use but you will want to litteraly glue the complete base to your receiver. I will tell you your never going to get the thing apart again with lock tite red. If you ever think your going to remove it use blue. Red is permanent, which that rail never needs to come off anyways.

There is not a lot of contact surface between your base and the receiver. The lock tite or acraglass will fill in the voids.just clean off the excess that oozes out after you have it torqued in place with some Q tips and rubbing alcohol. I'm sure when you remove your base you'll see wear marks on the edges like mine did showing you how little it comes in contact with the receiver.

And make sure you degrease the base, screws, and threads in the receiver being any oil will brake down the lock tite and it will come loose again.

And just remember all guns are different so work with starting loads in .5 grain increments and check for pressure signs. Had a few posters tell me on other forums they can't load the Lee 300's as long as I do so a shorter OAL is going to build higher pressures quicker.
Tripplebeards

Postby gmstack » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 am

MY RUGER RANCH RIFLE CAME WITH THE RAIL LOOSE . I USED BLUE LOCK TITE ON IT AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY ISSUES SINCE.
gmstack

Postby pnw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Locktite was a great idea. Really surprised the screws in the base were only hand tight from the factory . Degreased everything and used red on the base and base screws.
pnw

Previous

Return to Reloading