New to reloading - starting with 450 BM

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

New to reloading - starting with 450 BM

Postby gltucker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm

I’m not new to shooting or the 450 BM platform. I have a Encore, a AR I built and a Turk Mauser I converted into 450 BM. I’ve had hit and miss performance with the Hornady factory pills. I picked up a complete reloading kit (minus 450 BM dies/powder/bullets) with a Weatherby this weekend. The press is a RCBS rock chucker. The manual is the Lyman 49th edition not sure which print - whichever it is pre 450 BM cool. I have a couple of hundred once fired Hornady brass. A couple of questions:

- Any manual recommendations?
- I don’t want to cheap out on the dies, any recommendations based on the press?
- I’ve never shot Black butterfly, but I’ve heard great reviews. I don’t want to mess with the Hornady line of bullets. Any recommendations for deer hunting? Barnes _____ is usually pretty good stuff lol.
gltucker

Re: New to reloading - starting with 450 BM

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:36 am

Hornady dies and Hornady manual are what I have. Hornady bullets for plinking, Barnes for hunting in my #1 and bolt guns, thou my AR has been regulated to 300gr XTP mags which have worked awesome over the years.

Maker has a mono copper bullet that looks devastating, these guys have some interesting stuff too https://bearcreekballistics.com/shop/
Al in Mi

Re: New to reloading - starting with 450 BM

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:47 am

I also have the Hornady dies. At the time, There was only Hornady and CH4D, and the Hornady were cheaper. No complaints here. There are more offerings today, and about the only ones I've heard anything about are Lyman's, which have had some issue's.

There is also the Lyman AR manual, the newer Hodgdon manual, and Western manual that have 450B load data. The Hornady book will only have info on Hornady bullets, so probably not much help to you. Might help to get a reference of a similar bullet.

As to bullets, Barnes has a good proven track record. Personally had excellent results with the 200 XPB and 275 TSX. You also have Maker's, Lehigh, and Cutting Edge. I haven't seen any results with the bullet's they offer for the 450B, but they have good to great results with similar bullets in other calibers, so I expect similar. As to jacketed bullets, I don't really know because I don't use them for hunting.
Bmt85

Return to Reloading