New reloader 450 BM info needed

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

New reloader 450 BM info needed

Postby BobbyJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:11 am

Hi, My son surprised me and bought a XL 650 Dillon Reloading machine. I'm a hunter/shooter but never did any reloading and neigher has he. I got a book call ABCs of reloading but it does not have anything specific to 450 BM.

I use a Ruger Gunsite Scout and probably getting my get a single Shot CVA V2 450BM.

I don't think we have all that is needed to even do a reload.
things on the list

- Dillion Powder Checker (seems a safe way to prevent a costly overload)
- measuring gauges? Not sure what is needed or what brand.
- primers? not sure on best but heard remington 7 1/2 small rifle is ok
- tumbler? not sure
- bullets. I ordered some hornady 245gr and Barnes 275gr
- Gunpowder. This is the part where im not sure. It almost seems like people are experimenting and some powder is too slow or too fast. I guess I want to equal what hornady does.

Shot a Buck this year with that Bear Creek 240gr (2550 fps) all copper. The BC of those bullets is a crazy high number like 2.65 where the Barnes all copper 275gr is under 2.0 BC. Not sure how that 240 did it but would like a bullet like that but can't find any.

I was told the pressure that my Bolt ruger is something like 62,000 psi where the ARs is only 38,000 psi.

Anyone here push a bullet into the higher velocities like Bear Creek does? Just wondering how you know how close you are to 62,000 psi.
BobbyJ

Re: New reloader 450 BM info needed

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm

As a beginner, I think the Dillon XL650 is a bit of a step out. It's sort of like giving your 16 year old son a Ferrari and telling him to go have a good time. There will be a bit of a learning curve, but you should have most of the tools, if you can get it up and running. There are YouTube videos to help, of course.

That being said, I started with a single stage press https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012998011?pid=749997. This one gives you a good overview of the necessary components, which you can check off against the Dillon.

Things that I added to this kit were a tumbler to clean cases https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124184804?pid=414369, an inertial bullet puller (for when you make a mistake) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012714588?pid=215517, and - of course - a set of dies https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011021424.

After I had a bit of experience, I added a digital powder measure https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012762980?pid=818489, a case trimmer (not really necessary for the 450 BM https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012736711?pid=315831, and a case prep station https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012733817?pid=245424. These make the loading operation easier and faster, but are not necessities.

As far as bullets and powder, I would stick to the basics. A standard load is the Hornady 450BM 250 gr FTX and 38.0 gr of Hodgdon's Lil Gun powder. Primers are not really critical at this stage, but Remington 7-1/2 or Winchester Small Rifle are good places to start. This will give you approximately OE performance. I would wait a while before experimenting with other bullets and other powders.

You will note that I am partial to Hornady products, but that is because that is what I started with. Dillon makes most or all of these items, as does RCBS, which seems to be another favorite on this forum.

Finally, read a reloading manual in addition to the instruction manual for your press. Again, I like Hornady's since they invented the 450BM and cover it in their book https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018192916?pid=235643. I can also recommend YouTube videos by Hornady Loader. He covers the basic components, including those by other manufacturers. You could start here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hornady+loader+hornady+single+stage+press. And, as a cautionary note, I avoid videos by guys named Bubba wearing camo.

Anyone else? Jump in!
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 pm

A modest priced digital caliper and a name brand micrometer like This One!. That's a steal deal! If someone doesn't jump on it by the end of the week, I will buy it as a backup.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BobbyJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks guys!

Lol I did not sign up to be a reloader. I was getting him a CVA 450 for christmas and told him to pick one up on sale at a store he was near. Well one of our cousins works in a gun store and instead of him walking in with a new 450 BM he comes home with this fancy reloading machine. I was not happy at first because to me there is no room for error in reloading. I think he got slickered into it because it was a great deal. Like 1,200 worth of stuff for 1/2 price.

He collects old war guns pistols 9mm etc. So i think he wants to learn. I'm making him read the reloading books before any actual reloading which means I have to as well. I bought a hornady 450 die set off Midway.

I don't think he realized that even though he got a ton of stuff (auto cart feeder etc) he still needs more. It should be fun once over the learning curve.
Yes I don't plan on doing much other than trying to duplicate the stuff I can buy off the shelf. Maybe do some copper bullets which could save some money over the $3.00 a round stuff out there.

Dies we have 450, 223, 9mm, 204 ruger.

Thanks for all the links
BobbyJ

Postby BobbyJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 pm

Hoot wrote:A modest priced digital caliper and a name brand micrometer like This One!. That's a steal deal! If someone doesn't jump on it by the end of the week, I will buy it as a backup.

Hoot

Lol I went to Ebay and purchased that $17.50 micrometer, the thing look ancient. Hope it was not a joke, I trusted ya!.

Or is it you selling it :)
BobbyJ

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:30 am

BobbyJ wrote:
Lol I went to Ebay and purchased that $17.50 micrometer, the thing look ancient. Hope it was not a joke, I trusted ya!.

I have the exact same one in the exact same box. Good brands of mics outlast several owners if they're respected. My eyes told me that one was well cared for. If you're not happy with it, I will buy it from you for what you have into it plus shipping to me. FWIW, its cosmetically nicer than mine and mine is spot on. They go for a lot more money new. A lot more. I got mine used 28 years ago. It will outlast me as well. IMHO it is essential for assessing the taper crimp in this caliber.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am

BobbyJ wrote:
Hoot wrote:A modest priced digital caliper and a name brand micrometer like This One!. That's a steal deal! If someone doesn't jump on it by the end of the week, I will buy it as a backup.

Hoot

have used one identical to that for 30+yrs, still as accurate as day I got it.

The 650 is quite a machine, I have one for 223 and my handgun calibers, but personally, I'd start out with a single stage. Way less complicated and way easier to do small batches of ammo on.
Al in Mi

Postby BobbyJ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 am

Hoot wrote:
BobbyJ wrote:

I have the exact same one in the exact same box. Good brands of mics outlast several owners if they're respected. My eyes told me that one was well cared for. If you're not happy with it, I will buy it from you for what you have into it plus shipping to me. FWIW, its cosmetically nicer than mine and mine is spot on. They go for a lot more money new. A lot more. I got mine used 28 years ago. It will outlast me as well. IMHO it is essential for assessing the taper crimp in this caliber.

Hoot

Taper crimp? I'm not done reading that chapter yet :)
BobbyJ

Postby BobbyJ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 am

Al in Mi wrote:
BobbyJ wrote:

Hoot

have used one identical to that for 30+yrs, still as accurate as day I got it.

The 650 is quite a machine, I have one for 223 and my handgun calibers, but personally, I'd start out with a single stage. Way less complicated and way easier to do small batches of ammo on.

Yea he jumped in feet first on the 650 but looks to be a sturdy unit that looks like it was built for speed.
BobbyJ

Postby 450bushman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello all. I will post the load data i have obtained from my lee DC C452-300-RF mold for 450 bushmaster.
1. Load info = Hornady 450 bushmaster brass once fired(will not trim unless over 1.700) Powder= 33.5 grains of IMR 4227. COL= 2.065 inches. Bullet weight 295-300 grains hard cast. sellier and bellot Small Rifle box primers.
2.Hardcast bullet= I cast my own bullet using a lee DC C452-300-RF mold and a blend of metals. (message me if interested in metal blend and lubrication used). Brinell hardness of 22-24
3. Rifle used= CVA hunter 450 bushmaster with 3x9 vortex scope
4.FPS= I do not have equipment to test FPS however from the research i conducted FPS should be around 1700 with the rifle i am using.
5.Accuracy= At 50 yards i shoot pretty much MOA. at 100 yard group opens up to 1.5-2 inches. At 200 yards a 3.5 inch group was noted. (can hit 6 inch paper plate with consistency @ 200 yards)
I will use this round for hunting hog or deer. Let me know if you have any questions.
I have attached two pictures.
*WARNING* This is my load for my gun which is in good working order. Please refer to valid reloading manual before making any hand-loads.
I
Attachments
IMG_3284.JPG
IMG_3284.JPG (80.58 KiB) Viewed 11776 times
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG (70.8 KiB) Viewed 11776 times
450bushman

Next

Return to Reloading