Lead bullets

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Lead bullets

Postby OfficiallyBlake » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi, I’m looking to build my first big bore AR in 450 and I have some questions. I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from an estate sale and with it I got a ton of lead 45 LC bullets. My main question is without a gas check on them are they even able to be loaded in 450? I have many different ones but most are around 250 grain hard cast. I would just be using them for general plinking and what not. Also all I need is a barrel and bolt and I’m thinking of going with bear creek arsenal but i am apprehensive about it so does anyone here have luck with them? And if not if someone could point me towards a good barrel and bolt for around 200 dollars or less that would help me greatly. Thanks in advance, Blake.
OfficiallyBlake

Re: Lead bullets

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:55 am

welcome Blake, never shot cast before so of little help. few years ago there were some discussions on when the gas check passed over the gas port if it would come off, but I can't remember what all became of it.

as far as Bear Creek barrels, have heard a lot of good reviews on them, but were with jacketed bullets.
Al in Mi

Re: Lead bullets

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I seem to recall a discussion surrounding just how tall the checks had to be. Something along the lines of whether the front of the check obscured the gas port sample hole before the rear began to expose it as the bullet passes by. That of course depends upon where the port is located. Rifle length systems have the biggest hole (=taller check). Mid-length a little smaller. Carbine smaller still.

Like Al, I don't remember the particulars but if you use Google's forum search tool you can probably find the thread easily. Its more effective than our built-in search feature here. I elaborate on that in This Thread in my Information Depository sub-forum here. "gas check" being a good search term.

Hoot

BTW, Welcome Aboard as well!
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading