Barnes 450 TTSX BT catalog #30996

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Barnes 450 TTSX BT catalog #30996

Postby Deerslayer586 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Hello I just started reloading for the 450 bushmaster last year. I was wondering if anybody has tried these new TTSX Barnes bullets and what there experience has been?
Deerslayer586

Re: Barnes 450 TTSX BT catalog #30996

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:25 pm

I don't think they have been released yet, at least from what I'm looking at. The places I usually go to for components don't have any info on them.

I'm interested to see the results, but I have a feeling the 275 TSX will be slightly better. In terms of overall performance, that is. Kind of surprised that even with a tip and a boat tail, that the claimed b.c. is less than the 275 TSX. Would've thought it was going to be slightly more.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Also, the boat tail is a disservice in this caliber. It robs powder capacity by virtue of protruding down into the case but provides no degree of neck tension since its narrower than caliber. Flat base bullets reign supreme in this caliber. Of course, if you're not using all of your case's powder capacity for the recipe your rifle likes, then losing some won't matter.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Deerslayer586 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about trying the 250 TEZs but am worried about the copper fouling due to the shanks not having the bands.

I searched high and low and only place I could find to buy was directly from them. I’ll put a few down range and post results.

https://shop.barnesbullets.com/en_us/tipped-tsx.html
Deerslayer586

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Hoot wrote:Also, the boat tail is a disservice in this caliber. It robs powder capacity by virtue of protruding down into the case but provides no degree of neck tension since its narrower than caliber. Flat base bullets reign supreme in this caliber. Of course, if you're not using all of your case's powder capacity for the recipe your rifle likes, then losing some won't matter.

Hoot

Boat tails sorta a joke on these bullets at these speeds and at the ranges most people can shoot a 450.

Hard to make a brick very ballastic.
Al in Mi

Postby Deerslayer586 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks Al and Hoot! Do you think I should shift gears and just focus on a load for the 275 tsx? Don’t want to waste time and money if you think that’s the best option.
Deerslayer586

Postby MOOSE EARS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
Hoot wrote:Also, the boat tail is a disservice in this caliber. It robs powder capacity by virtue of protruding down into the case but provides no degree of neck tension since its narrower than caliber. Flat base bullets reign supreme in this caliber. Of course, if you're not using all of your case's powder capacity for the recipe your rifle likes, then losing some won't matter.

Hoot

Boat tails sorta a joke on these bullets at these speeds and at the ranges most people can shoot a 450.

Where's the like button when you need it?
MOOSE EARS

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Deerslayer586 wrote:Thanks Al and Hoot! Do you think I should shift gears and just focus on a load for the 275 tsx? Don’t want to waste time and money if you think that’s the best option.

The 275gr has a stellar track record, my guess is that 250gr will also. I'll probably give them a whirl in the #1 against her pet 275gr load when they are readily available.

I have seen some post where the Barnes factory load is available now, might be worth picking up a box for a accuracy check.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:12 am

Al in Mi wrote:

Hoot

if i had to guess... in this case, since we're talking about a solid copper bullet.. i'm betting they put the BT on there to reduce bearing surface - and therefore pressure - essentially for the same reason they cut in the driving bands.

again - pure speculation on my part. but something that popped in my head as a plausible reason why they would do it
plant_one

Postby GaCop » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 am

MOOSE EARS wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:

Hoot

Where's the like button when you need it?

+1!
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Next

Return to Reloading