Dies, powder and brass recommendations, please.

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Dies, powder and brass recommendations, please.

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Greetings to all. Need a little experienced based advice on die, brass and powder selection for reloading the 450 Bushmaster for either a single shot or bolt gun strictly for whitetail deer hunting.
Although I shoot all my rifles with regularity from my T3/LT 300wsm to my 336c in 35 Remington I will likely not shoot the 450 BM’s that much for fun due to having so many other rifles my boys and I enjoy shooting so much now.

Been reloading handgun and bottle necked cartridges for over 30 years for essentially all types of HG’s and rifles and have dies from Redding, Forester, RCBS, Hornady, and Lee.

Unless I am wrong based on my research, the maximum effective hunting range of the 450 Bushmaster for deer is somewhere under 300 yards. As such I would like to know if dies from RCBS will give me as good of reloads as say Redding dies at ranges under 300 yards.

I ask because I am buying two rifles in 450 BM for my sons and besides the rifles will need to buy scopes and mounting systems, brass, powder and bullets and am looking to see if I can save a little on the total cost and a RCBS three die sets are less than half the cost of a set of Reddings.

Secondly from my research it seams the most popular powder for 450 BM reloads using 225-250 grain bullets is Hodgdon Lil’Gun and would like to know if Lil’gun is temp stable especially in very cold temps as temps during deer season where I hunt in the low double to single digits are to be expected. So unless someone suggests otherwise I will go with Lil’Gun especially because it’s available OTC right now near me.

Lastly The only new 450BM brass I can find for reloading is Starline and unless someone can suggest a superior brand that is also currently available for purchase I will go with new Starline brass.
RBDMTJager

Re: Dies, powder and brass recommendations, please.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:23 pm

The Hornady Dies are okay. It all I’ve used so far. I have bought some specialty dies but haven’t had time for bench work in the last three months so I haven’t tried them yet.
Yes LilGun is the go to powder for any loads under 300 grains. It’s about all I use. I do use 1680 for anything heavier than 275 grains.
As for Brass……. If you find it you better just buy it. Hornady or Starline is fine. But hard to find at the moment.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:57 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:The Hornady Dies are okay. It all I’ve used so far. I have bought some specialty dies but haven’t had time for bench work in the last three months so I haven’t tried them yet.
Yes LilGun is the go to powder for any loads under 300 grains. It’s about all I use. I do use 1680 for anything heavier than 275 grains.
As for Brass……. If you find it you better just buy it. Hornady or Starline is fine. But hard to find at the moment.

Welcome Aboard!

+1 Especially the Hornady die set. Also, use magnum small rifle primers like Remington 7 1/2 or CCI 450. Lil Gun is a ball powder so there will be some temperature impact. I live and hunt in MN and have used Lil Gun with deer season opener temps as low as -7F !!!

My favorite getting to know you recipe is Hornady 225 FTX over 38gr Lil Gun at 2.12 COL
A real confidence builder!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby RBDMTJager » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:22 pm

Texas SD,
Thank you sir for sharing your info with me. I ordered 100 pieces of Starline 450BM brass as that was the only new 450BM brass I could find available FS. My LGS had 1lb jugs of LilGun in stock. When ever I reload for a new caliber I usually do not buy more than a single pound of any given powder until I determine that powder allows me to attain my accuracy and velocity goals I set for that cartridge. But given the current situation concerning reloading component availability, I chose to err in stead on the side of prudence and not to adhere to that rule and bought enough Lil'Gun to be able to make enough reloads for many years of load development, shooting and hunting.

As this caliber will be used strictly for hunting Midwest whitetail I choose to go with 250 grain projectiles and ordered 250grn .452" FTX bullets.

I already have all the SM/RFL mag and non-mag primers I will EVER need so all is left is to to buy is dies and rifles.
I will post a request for input on choosing between two different platforms as I have no experience, not even second or third hand experience with either of the two rilfes I am considering.

Thanks again for the help.
RBDMTJager

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:41 pm

RBDMTJager wrote:Texas SD,
Thank you sir for sharing your info with me. I ordered 100 pieces of Starline 450BM brass as that was the only new 450BM brass I could find available FS. My LGS had 1lb jugs of LilGun in stock. When ever I reload for a new caliber I usually do not buy more than a single pound of any given powder until I determine that powder allows me to attain my accuracy and velocity goals I set for that cartridge. But given the current situation concerning reloading component availability, I chose to err in stead on the side of prudence and not to adhere to that rule and bought enough Lil'Gun to be able to make enough reloads for many years of load development, shooting and hunting.

As this caliber will be used strictly for hunting Midwest whitetail I choose to go with 250 grain projectiles and ordered 250grn .452" FTX bullets.

I already have all the SM/RFL mag and non-mag primers I will EVER need so all is left is to to buy is dies and rifles.
I will post a request for input on choosing between two different platforms as I have no experience, not even second or third hand experience with either of the two rilfes I am considering.

You made some good choices.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby RBDMTJager » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:39 pm

Thanks for the compliment
RBDMTJager

Postby s4s4u » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:26 pm

Welcome to the addiction. I don't think dies really matter all that much. I use an RCBS 284 win die for sizing, RCBS 45 ACP dies for expanding and seating, and a Lee crimp die. Damn gun shoots like a laser, even with irons and old eyes. Lil Gun is what I started with and have found no reason to change. I don't load to the ragged edge, so not worried about temp stability, and there is no reason to push it. I have killed a pile of deer with a 45 Colt moving half as fast with the same bullet weight. As long as the gun runs, run it.
s4s4u

Postby offrink » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:16 pm

RBDMTJager wrote:Texas SD,

I have found through personal use and from other on this site have backed up my findings that FTX are good plinking rounds but fail to penetrate occasionally. Last year I hit a doe in the shoulder and almost removed the shoulder but it didn’t penetrate to the vitals. I typically use 275 grain tsx or xpb bullets (monolith solids). I have taken 3 deer in the last two years over 225 yards with them
offrink

Postby RBDMTJager » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:13 pm

I have found through personal use and from other on this site have backed up my findings that FTX are good plinking rounds but fail to penetrate occasionally. Last year I hit a doe in the shoulder and almost removed the shoulder but it didn’t penetrate to the vitals. I typically use 275 grain tsx or xpb bullets (monolith solids). I have taken 3 deer in the last two years over 225 yards with them
offrink

Thanks again for your reply. I had not heard the FTX had pen issues. I use a .458" 325 grain FTX in my 10ML-II but I'm pushing those at a MV of 2350-2400fps so I have no expansion issues, just slight recoil issues :mrgreen:
RBDMTJager

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:49 am

I use only one bullet Cutting Edge Bullets 160gr. Raptor at 2700 fps.....deer and bears usually only take maybe one step then there DRT....they may not be cheep but I only need one for every animal I put in the deep freeze.....
But what is cost when you are using the best bullet made....
I have used Hornady dies in the 450 BM since before the first legal deer hunt in Southern Michigan and still do....
Hell .....I have a 5 gallon bucket of once fired brass and still have 10 boxes of new Hornady brass....I'am in no need of trying any other brand and they just work OK....powder LilGun works just fine have been trying Enforcer with a lot of promise.....primer only one fits the bill for a 450 BM Remington 7 1/2 it the HOTTEST made and works great in temperature below zero like we can have in Michigan....

Maybe the 450 BM can be stretched to 300 yards on a good day.....but I've done very good out to close to 200 yards....I like them closer to 50 yards.....
coyote wacker

Next

Return to Reloading