Good rust cleaner for guns

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Good rust cleaner for guns

Postby Sheta » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:08 am

Hi guys, I have a gun that isn't even a year old and has developed a small rust spot on the outside of the barrel above the chamber. I take great care of my guns, so this is thoroughly annoying. It is my carry piece and I live in Florida, so the humidity is crazy down here and the barrel is not finished in any way, so perhaps that had something to do with it. It's brushed steel so the rust is in these tiny crevaces. Would it be OK to use some CLR on it? Or do you guys have better suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Sheta

Re: Good rust cleaner for guns

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:36 am

Sheta wrote:Hi guys, I have a gun that isn't even a year old and has developed a small rust spot on the outside of the barrel above the chamber. I take great care of my guns, so this is thoroughly annoying. It is my carry piece and I live in Florida, so the humidity is crazy down here and the barrel is not finished in any way, so perhaps that had something to do with it. It's brushed steel so the rust is in these tiny crevaces. Would it be OK to use some CLR on it? Or do you guys have better suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Aboard Sheta!

Be wary of chemical rust removers that are either alkaline or acidic as they leave the affected area prone to re-rust. Depending upon the size and degree of rust, I would think you wold be better served rubbing it out was an oil based compound. I use one of those SS wool pads and some Eezox. I bought a pint (bulk) of Eezox and at the rate I'm consuming it, it will outlast my lifetime.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am

kroil and some 000 or 0000 steel wool should take off most surface rust like that.

you may wish to consider sending it in for meloniting and/or upgrade to a stainless or otherwise essentially rust proof model.

products like hornady one shot are great rust preventatives you might wish to try if a permanant surface refinish or firearm upgrade are out of the question for the moment

this is one of the better corrosion prevention tests done that i'm aware of
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

for those who want a shortcut to the final answer here's a quick view of testing at 360 and 336 hours respectively for the top and bottom boards

HTH
plant_one

Postby Waynzee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am

I've found that steel wool will leave small particles that will rust after a short time, better to use copper wool or some type of copper brush with Ballistol oil or some other good oil and rub out the rusted area then keep it well oiled.
Waynzee

Return to Off Topic