TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Postby jerdebson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks WC, that is one I might just give a try. I want to get my range up and running this year if possible. I have lived here 19 years and just keep going to the local range even though I own a quarter section of land. There is a flood dam across a draw that is 15/20 feet tall and several hundred feet across. The pond is dry most of the time so we can shoot 4-500 yards to the dam. I use to set up simple USPSA matches here a few times. Just don't seem to have enough time for most of the things I like to do anymore. I retire in 20 months, maybe then...
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 pm

I bet I could build a wooden version of that second one and then attempt to put wheels on it. Might be nice for shooting at ranges inside of my max 100 yards. Using those new solid wheel barrow tires, it just might work. I have an idea about using three layers of 3/4" treated plywood glued then pressed together for the bench top. Once cured, the wooden slab could be easily cut to specs. Using 4X6 treated timbers for the legs, then coming up with a plan for an adjustable seat probably wouldn't be too hard. The platform could simply be a 2X6 frame reinforced with Simpson strong ties with a 3/4" treated plywood deck with 2 steel rods that would extend out both sides of the platform far enough to install 4 tires.
Then you could just hand push it to whatever position you wanted..... Or I could just sit on it and shoot the 416 Rem Mag and it would become self propelled.... :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip... I have an idea about using three layers of 3/4" treated plywood glued then pressed together for the bench top.

Along those lines, I've been meaning to re-do my workshop long workbench and was wondering how tricky it is bonding layers of plywood? Given the area of them and only having 4 squeeze clamps at my disposal, how do you press 4x8 sheet layers tight while they're curing? For my work bench, flat is important. I toyed with going to one of the local steel scrapyards and just buying some lengths of boiler plate, but that stuff's incredibly heavy for a one man show. I can lift more with one hand than my wife and daughter can with their four. Given the aggravation factor, I usually don't ask them for help. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 am

jerdebson wrote:Thanks WC, that is one I might just give a try. I want to get my range up and running this year if possible. I have lived here 19 years and just keep going to the local range even though I own a quarter section of land. There is a flood dam across a draw that is 15/20 feet tall and several hundred feet across. The pond is dry most of the time so we can shoot 4-500 yards to the dam. I use to set up simple USPSA matches here a few times. Just don't seem to have enough time for most of the things I like to do anymore. I retire in 20 months, maybe then...

In what State do you live??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby jerdebson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm

WC, I live in SE Colorado.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby jerdebson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I might have mentioned it in the past but I built my reloading bench top out of Govt surplus radiation shield material, believe it or not.It came in 4'X12' sheets, each weighed in at 740 lbs. if I remembered right. My top is 6' wide and 29" deep, I beleived I figured it should weigh around 230 lbs. It is composed of 16 1/8" sheets of masonite with lead sheeting between the sheets, it works great.

I disassembled a 4 high file cabinet and bloted it together in a 2 high by 2 wide arrangement. The whole mess is held up by three double legs of double 2"x6" boards with a 2"x4" top border and the top lagged to the base.

I made a quick change base to change out my Rock Chucker, Mec Sizemaster77, Hornady Pro-Jector, vice and flat iron surface (read anvil). It is a simple arrangement but it suits my simple needs. So I understand going a little Over Board. I'm sure my range bench will not blow away either.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip... I have an idea about using three layers of 3/4" treated plywood glued then pressed together for the bench top.

Along those lines, I've been meaning to re-do my workshop long workbench and was wondering how tricky it is bonding layers of plywood? Given the area of them and only having 4 squeeze clamps at my disposal, how do you press 4x8 sheet layers tight while they're curing? For my work bench, flat is important. I toyed with going to one of the local steel scrapyards and just buying some lengths of boiler plate, but that stuff's incredibly heavy for a one man show. I can lift more with one hand than my wife and daughter can with their four. Given the aggravation factor, I usually don't ask them for help. :|

Hoot

Hey Hoot. I just use a bunch of cinder blocks for the projects I've had in the past.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Out with the old.....
image.jpg
Old desk
image.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 16335 times

In with the new!
image.jpg
New bench
image.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 16335 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:54 pm

The Bermuda grass is starting to take hold on my range. The goats are gonna be happy.

image.jpg
Range spring 2013
image.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 16335 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby helidude350 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Sweet!!!!!

And just curious, what 450b load do you use for the goats?

"Get off my lawn!!" ( Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino)
helidude350

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic