TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: TexasSheepDawg's Range Construction

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Yeah, bro.. I don't have time to build a new PC from the ground up right now. I remember building my studio PC and it took a year just to get all the drivers and software bugs ironed out. I don't have that kind of time. I'm way behind on projects.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am

While I'm no video critic, I liked the overall color balance in the first video a little better. Don't ask me why, just my mind's eye speaking. Might be as simple as the time of day they were shot. Both are enjoyable to watch.

Did I mention that I'm envious? I have deer, flocks of turkeys, pheasants, the occasional brave fox or coyote constantly parading though the field right on my property's edge, but lord help you if you let a shot go off, other than on the 4th of July. The local police would be there in no time flat. Only the farmers around my development who actually own the land, or their immediate family are allowed to shoot on it. And you know, that's OK by me. I enjoy watching them almost as much as hunting and there's plenty of places for that, just not nearby. Did I mention i'm envious? ;)

Good job!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Both videos were filmed on the same morning about 8:10AM, about five minutes apart. The range video was shot first. So the sun would have been lower but not by much. Look at the shadows. Any color adjustment would have been made through the Go Pro software, which I did dabble with, but I didn't think I saved any changes. On the feeder video clip, towards the end, I got some morning dew on the lense, but I didn't have a lense cloth to wipe it off so I left it alone. The colors in the cedars in the morning are very yellow and green. On overcast days, the sunlight intensity doesn't wash out the colors as bad. But summer is winding down and the sun has started to retreat to the southern sky again, signaling the coming fall. Now that we are getting the hang of these cameras, and the temps are starting to moderate into the low 90s, maybe I can get some range time in and also do that night shot you requested. One thing I just remembered, I shot that video using a class 4, 32 Gig video card. My new cards had not arrived yet. The cameras were designed for the faster class 10 cards. So future videos will be with the faster cards.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 am

I went and picked up the new shooting bench this morning. Had to special order it so it took about three weeks to come in, but it's a heavy rascal. It's supposed to be a commercial grade picnic table.

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 16776 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 16776 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby helidude350 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm

DUDE! Anchor it!!!!

Went to a family bbq at an apartment building.
They have a bench similar to yours. Nice built in grills .
They didn't anchor it to the concrete. A couple of us (we aren't large guys) sat on one side
and it dumped us.
The dip and the beer were the worst. Narrowly missed my wife's bare feet when it
slammed back down.

Just lookin' out for ya 'Dawg... 8-)
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

We are definitely considering our options for anchoring. While I don't worry about it being stolen, I do worry about the one sided balance of these style tables. Once we get it assembled, we will decide the best way to anchor it, but right now, we are strongly considering steel stakes. But I gotta say that this table is very heavy. The specs state it weighes about 275 pounds. It took a forklift to get it in the truck.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Tex,

Just a thought here. I posted this somewhere, but it may not have gotten on the board (heck I can't find it), so here gores again.

You've done such a great job building this range, a decent bench is absolutely vital. My suggestion is to use that new picnic table for outdoor eating and build you one of these. If you build a really heavy-duty skid with three sides and a roof, rigging a tongue on both ends to hook to, say a ball on your truck, you can easily haul this up and down the range. I've built many of these and they are in fact the last word, taking a long afternoon to build it's well worth the investment, though still quite low-cost overall. You can build the component parts and assemble on a later date..

..t

Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Due to the instability of my soil and confined space behind the 100 yard position, your idea would be too expensive. And even though I might could drag it down range, I could never get it back to the 100 yard position.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Image[/quote]

WC, you don't have the plans for that fine bench do you?
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Shore-Nuff Jerry and they are in my head, but here's one that's quite a bit easier to build, and in your head too. A 2x4 frame for the top and a 2x8 frame for the bottom. Fencing of some type suspended in the frame for strength, pour in the concrete, even if you have to mix it by hand in a wheelbarrow. The up-rights are either bought or built. These show two bolts for the bottom/top plates of the supports, I like four bolt, plates. The two front legs are 4x4x1/4 Galvanized Square stock in this example. The one rear leg is 6"x1/4" round Galvanized Tubing, so you can have an adjustable seat. Be Creative with the seat. A decent Drill Motor with concrete drills and the proper fasteners and you are in business. Of course you can buy all the component parts, have them shipped to your AO and assemble on the site, but this is easy stuff and given enough Duct-Tape even a Hoot could build this, wink..

..t

Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic