NRA Whittington Center

Everything Else.

Moderator: MudBug

NRA Whittington Center

Postby Hopalong » Mon May 20, 2019 3:24 pm

A couple of old buddies and I met some like minded guys here in April to shoot. For those of you who don't know it, it's a world class shooting facility south of Raton NM. Literally any kind of range you'd want to shoot, from gongs to the 1000 meter White Buffalo silhouette, even some shotgun. We were there two days and shot mostly centerfire stuff. I shot 9mm, .223, 22 Nosler, and 6.5 Grendel. I didn't even try to keep track, but my hunting buddy weighed before and after and shot 28 pounds of ammo. We stayed on site in a Founder's cabin, nicely set up for up to 8 guys with a kitchen, 4 bedrooms, each with a shower. Pretty place, we had deer grazing by every night and a couple of flocks of wild turkeys drifted by as well. Worth the trip, open all year, $20 for a day or $30 for an annual pass.

http://www.nrawc.org
Hopalong

Re: NRA Whittington Center

Postby Colohunter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:57 pm

I absolutely enjoy this facility. I have shot the Sporting Rifle Matches on the north side of the property a few times. Each time I go a day early to shoot on the silhouette range. I haven't tried out most of the others, but tend to burn up several hours trying different rifles and different positions. I typical stay in a primitive camp site and it makes for a pretty inexpensive trip overall.
Colohunter

Return to Off Topic