Savage Wolverine 20 moa scope rail.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Savage Wolverine 20 moa scope rail.

Postby Moore77 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am

Anyone that is interested , I Just spoke to Savage and they confirmed the factory scope rail on the Savage Wolverine 450 Bushmaster is a Zero Moa
not 20 moa which is used for long distance to allow your optics more elevation. Still would like any accuracy information that is out there since there is every little on the web. I've never owned a Savage but hear they are very accurate.
Moore77

Postby plant_one » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:45 pm

lovetohunt93 wrote:I was actually just getting on here to make a similar thread and seen yours.

I was a wanting to build a 450 on a custom action, but most of them only come with 20 moa rails and no option for a 0 moa rail.

Since most of my shots are between 10-100 yards, does anyone know if a 20 moa rail would still allow for close range shots?

yes. zeroed is still zeroed. a 100 yd zero for the 450 is point and squeeze from about 5 yds to 150 yds...

as noted - i have a 20 moa rail on my blackout. I can shoot it anywhere from 0-200yds easily with subs. 208gr bullet - even a nice high BC one like the amax/eld-m - at rougly 45 acp speeds makes the 450 bushmaster trajectory look like a laser beam LOL

300 blk: 32" of drop at 200 yds with a 100 yd zero (about 60 clicks)
vs
450bm : 7.3" drop @ 200 yds with a 100 yd zero (about 14 clicks)
plant_one

Postby Moore77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 am

lovetohunt93
I'm at the understanding that a 20 moa rail would limit your close yardage some . The 20 moa rail purpose is to add more available elevation for long range shooting. This is just my understanding but there is information out there on the web that does explain it. Good luck.
Moore77

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for the input guys.

The scope I would be mounting on the gun has 110 moa of elevation adjustment, so I might be fine. The zero would just have me sitting more toward the top end of that spectrum I believe. Although, if worse comes to worse, I could use the Burris scope rings with the inserts. The rail would have 20 moa of elevation on it, but I could use the inserts to raise the front of the scope and/or lower the back of the scope to counteract the effects of the rail.
lovetohunt93

Postby plant_one » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 am

lovetohunt93 wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

The scope I would be mounting on the gun has 110 moa of elevation adjustment, so I might be fine. The zero would just have me sitting more toward the top end of that spectrum I believe. Although, if worse comes to worse, I could use the Burris scope rings with the inserts. The rail would have 20 moa of elevation on it, but I could use the inserts to raise the front of the scope and/or lower the back of the scope to counteract the effects of the rail.

you should be good man. with 110 MOA of adjustetn = 55 moa either way from true center. your rail is only going to consume 20 moa of that, in theory leaving you 35 moa left to play with. which is the starting point where many optics are limited to. heck that blackout uppper i mentioned in the previous post is only a 60 moa total adjustment optic .... so you have 5 more MOA left after accounting for the rail than i had to begin with :)
plant_one

Postby Thom28 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 pm

lovetohunt93 wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I think it's all a mute point as Savage has verified that the rail on the Savage 110 Wolverine is a 0 moa rail.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby timotheius99 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:33 pm

I recently bought a Savage wolverine and I can confirm that the rail is 0 MOA. The gun is very accurate, however, I am having a hard time getting it to hold zero. I will shoot 2 or 3 really good groups, then the point of impact shifts on me. I have already noticed part of that is due to some of the screws coming loose under recoil. I fixed that with blue loktite, replaced the rail with steel bases, and mounted a new scope (in case the last one was bad). I'm going to the range Saturday to see if the problem is fixed. By the way, to me the factory rail seem to be a very cheap piece of aluminum.
timotheius99

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 pm

timotheius99 wrote:I recently bought a Savage wolverine and I can confirm that the rail is 0 MOA. The gun is very accurate, however, I am having a hard time getting it to hold zero. I will shoot 2 or 3 really good groups, then the point of impact shifts on me. I have already noticed part of that is due to some of the screws coming loose under recoil. I fixed that with blue loktite, replaced the rail with steel bases, and mounted a new scope (in case the last one was bad). I'm going to the range Saturday to see if the problem is fixed. By the way, to me the factory rail seem to be a very cheap piece of aluminum.

What bases did you mount?

I am also planning on switching the rail to a more rigid steel rail.
What model will i need? I really struggle to find a rail that will definitely fit because the new nomenclature of savage is very confusing. Almost everything is a 110 now, even the short actions. I also read the wolverine will need to be drilled for #8-40 screws.
Are there any recommendations?
posted by a non-native English speaker

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
Radioactiveman

Postby cljohnson24 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm

I have the Savage Wolverine and I immediately replaced the OEM Light duty picatinny rail with EGW's HD one. They have full width slots and very little play when used with actual Picatainny rings to minimize any potential play. I always re-install any and all scope bases with blue Loctite using torque specs obtained from the scope base manufacturer's recommendations. This has paid off over the years by preventing me from wasting ammo shooting groups/zeroing only to discover they were loose.
cljohnson24

Postby cljohnson24 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Another possibility is to ensure your stock is installed and torqued correctly. New model Accustocks like yours and mine use the standard Savage Stock installation but should be tightened to 40 inch pounds versus the 35"# of non Accu-stock models. I highly recommend a Wheeler "FAT" torque wrench. The Old style Accustock used an alternating sequence in case you ever come upon one. They had a 3rd action screw(total of 4 screws underneath)which screwed into a "wedge". This style was eliminated when it was found to cause problems returning to zero when removed/reinstalled...

New Style Accustock Install procedure:
1. With Barreled action in the stock and Action screws(2 forward ones) threaded in via fingers..Stand rifle upright with Butt against ground.(Rear screw is a wood screw for Trigger guard only).
2. While pressing downward upon the Barreled action to justify the rear of recoil lug against the stock, tighten the front screw to 40"#.
3. Now tighten the Rear Action screw(middle screw in front of trigger guard) to 40"#.

Following this procedure with proper torque will spread the stock's Aluminum sides to immobilize it both laterally as well as fore and aft. Some guys use 45"# some use the regular 35"# specified for Savage Wood/Synth Centerfires.
I personally called Savage and verified they recommend 40"# and it's in the middle of what most seem to like, so that's what I use on all of my Accustocked 110's with outstanding results.
cljohnson24

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles