*Hello to all our new members*

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: *Hello to all our new members*

Postby Thom28 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 pm

bellwilliamaudie wrote:Thank you for the great resource! We are a big bore family, 3 Brothers, 2 Brother in Laws, 2 Sisters and 2 Wives, 7 kids (so far) Gun Nuts all. Dad, Grand Dad, Middle Brother and now Little Brother were/are Marines, with two Army Veterans (the Brother In Laws) thrown in for good measure. Everyone carries a 1911A1 (however we have two Glock .40 S&W wives known as the Glockettes) and we are all shooters from childhood on. We currently live in Northern Arizona however I work in Colorado. I have the first .450 Thumper however it looks like I will be joined by everyone in the family over the next year (judging by the reaction to the new upper. I purchased the .450 Bushmaster upper from Bear Creek Arsenal (16 Inch heavy Barrel) and was upgraded to the side charging upper free of charge.

I have an order in with my local FFL for some Black Butterfly .450 Bushmaster, 275 grain, Barnes XPB as there is NO ammo available that we can find (including a trip to Phoenix a few weeks ago.) We will definitely reload the caliber. My Dad was shooting buddies with Jeff Cooper (the fellow Marine) who conceptualized the round which was completed by Tim LeGendre at his LeMag shop. My Dad was one of the early Big Bear leather slappers with Major (later Col.) Cooper and the Bear Valley Gunslingers (with Andy Anderson, Thell Reed and Arvo Ojala among others) in the 60's. Again, many Thanks!

WOW! Welcome aboard. Sure you will find just about any information you need on the 450. Lots of knowledgeable people on here and very willing to share information.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Scarletgem » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Let us know your experience with Tromix follower and Lancer mag. Been thinking about getting a couple.
Scarletgem

Postby Scarletgem » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Newbie here. Just joined and anxious to learn more about the 450 bushmaster. I just got one.
Scarletgem

Postby bebop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi y'all!
I've ordered a Mossberg Patriot in 450 Bushmaster and walnut stock.
I live in Sweden so it will take about 10-12 weeks until I get the rifle due shipping and all the paperwork.
I handload, so no bought ammo here (don't think I'll be able to find it locally anyway).
Have not found any Li'l Gun, but Vihtavuori, Norma and Lovex can be found easy.
I'm hunting and planning to use this one for most game, especially moose, red dear and wild boar. My other rifle, in 6.5x55swede, needs a new barrel. The rifle is 40 years old and well used, but in good condition. It will get a new barrel in due time.

Looking forward to get my thumper and bring it to the range this summer.

/bebop
bebop

Postby bebop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you!
I don't mind you asking, and I believe there is a saying just like that (however the saying is pronounced "Bork, Bork, Bork!" in swedish ;) )
My plan is to use VV-N110 and Hornady FTX 250 grain to start with. I think Lyman's latest reloading manual has the caliber, but not with the powders I have access to. Gonna buy Hornady's manual and start slow, within limits and with my chronograph and QL.
I'm also gonna try 300 grain of Hornady's XTP MAG and try to see if I can get Barnes 275 grainers later on.

The problem I have is that I sometimes can't get hold of some of the brands of powder in the manuals. Couple of years ago I called Norma (yes, they are also swedish) and spoke with their expert. He told me to get a powder with similar burning rate/time and work slowly upwards.

Thanks again!
bebop

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 pm

bebop wrote:Thank you!
I don't mind you asking, and I believe there is a saying just like that (however the saying is pronounced "Bork, Bork, Bork!" in swedish ;) )
My plan is to use VV-N110 and Hornady FTX 250 grain to start with. I think Lyman's latest reloading manual has the caliber, but not with the powders I have access to. Gonna buy Hornady's manual and start slow, within limits and with my chronograph and QL.
I'm also gonna try 300 grain of Hornady's XTP MAG and try to see if I can get Barnes 275 grainers later on.

The problem I have is that I sometimes can't get hold of some of the brands of powder in the manuals. Couple of years ago I called Norma (yes, they are also swedish) and spoke with their expert. He told me to get a powder with similar burning rate/time and work slowly upwards.

Thanks again!

Norma 123 is good choice for the 200gr FTX or 200gr XPB
Norma 200 is good choice for the 300gr XTP Mag seat until it kisses the lands ~ 2.24 COL
VV110 is a good analog to Lil Gun. Load accordingly.

We expect range reports! ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:19 am

Welcome Bebop. We definitely are looking forward to your range reports and hopefully some pics of your game harvested. I see that you’re actually in Sweden. Your country has a special place in my heart. My biological mother was Swedish.
Long story and not really something to be discussed here. So welcome to our electronic campfire. And if you need help with posting pics, I can help you on that.
This is my tutorial from my You Tube channel.
https://youtu.be/Fxn8Fz7jIQs
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bebop » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks!
I'll definitely post pics on my harvest. At the moment we're only allowed to hunt wild board, and the main hunting season starts in mid August. First the roe deer and then the moose hunt in mid October followed by red dear and then fallow dear. Boars are legal all year around.
I have two old but nice Schmidt and Bender scopes I'm planning to use with my Bushmaster. One 2,5-10x50 and one 1,25-4x20 and warnes QD rings, I might get a red dot in the future.
I can say likewise. I've only been to the U.S. once, but I loved it. I've told my wife that if the if we for any reason would move away from Sweden, we'll move to the States, and she agrees. ;) Both me and my wife have distant relatives living in the U.S.
Anyway, thanks again!
bebop

Postby mcrik » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Hello from Ohio. Thanks for the add.
mcrik

Postby michtech » Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Thank you for the welcome! I am reading a lot and learning as much as possible. I am having a problem finding the load data area and could find some help to get there.
michtech

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall