AR15 Bulk Build Kit storage

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

AR15 Bulk Build Kit storage

Postby Risamit » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:51 am

Hey Guys,

Been a long time since I posted. Things have changed and planning has changed along with it. Now live in a different county in NY that allows scary rifles(ar15,ak47)

So since moving I have built my self battle rifle. Now having that setup I decided I want to have additional rifles. I am interested in those cheap rifles from Palmetto State Armory or Davidson Defense https://tradocnews.org/davidson-defense-reviews/ Company. Kits cost from $300 to $450 with out lowers. My thought is to have enough to arm family and friends.

I want to buy 5-10 of these kits and leave them unbuilt in a storage box. They would be vacuum sealed for long term storage. Has any one considered this or actually put the plan in motion. My fear is going with a lower quality build so I can buy more rifles will be worse the have three solid rifles.

Any comments or criticism is welcome. I want honesty which route to go.

Thanks.
Last edited by Risamit on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Risamit

Re: AR15 Bulk Build Kit storage

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:15 pm

I've heard of a few guys running the 7.62x39's from Davidson with good results. Palmetto had quite a few issues with their freedom 5.56 a while back, it should be fixed now, but can't confirm. Bear creek arsenal is another inexpensive option. Radical firearms uppers always seem to be on sale somewhere. I would say, if you buy any upper or upper kit, assemble them, and test them. That way you know if they work or not. Then stash them away. Another plus to that is they will be ready to go if you need them. Or disassemble them after testing. Make sure you buy enough mags and ammo to stash away, too. The uppers won't be any good with out them.

Personally, I went the route of doing better builds for most of my AR's and upper's. Not for stashing them away, but because I like building them, and want different things. Takes a lot more money, and a lot longer to finish a build, but I have better builds. You could go the route of picking up a few of those, and start slowly working on other, better builds, and start swapping em out. Then use or sell the cheaper ones. This is a perfect time to stock up on gun stuff, tons of sales going on all the time.
Bmt85

Postby offrink » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:53 pm

I have had no issues with psa. I have bought a few of their uppers and even a “pistol ar” where all you need is the stripped lower. All parts fit and the rifles go bang on the first time. Fit with an Anderson lower is better than with my s&w m&p sport II. Trigger could be upgraded but other than that they seem to be pretty standard in fit. That said I don’t have 1,000 rounds through one of their uppers yet.
offrink

Postby offrink » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm

To the storage part. I would rather think a built lower and built upper, packed separately, assembled and well oiled would be preferred. That way you can ensure they work and don’t need to waste time in adverse conditions building an upper or lower. Parts put in a gun sock, very thick Mylar on a roll with a few oxygen absorbers would really keep things sealed up tight and no issues. Buried vertical in a sealed pvc tube would make it difficult to find.
offrink

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 pm

tbh - bear creek is leading the pack on budget uppers these days.

you can get a complete upper (including bcg and charging handle) from them for between $200 and $250 (caliber/package dependant) and a complete rifle for under $400 (minus ffl fee)

why you would spend $400 on a build package that needed a lower to be functional + assembly these days when planning on a worst case SHTF scenario is beyond me.

just my $0.02 usd.
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:19 pm

and if you're worried about quality... midway sure isnt... bear creek is the same company that makes their ar-stoner line of uppers and barrels.
plant_one

Return to AR15 Style Rifles