Speer 300 gr. Deep Curl and Lilgun powder?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Speer 300 gr. Deep Curl and Lilgun powder?

Postby Waynzee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 pm

I found some info. for Swift A Frame 300 gr.bullet on Hodgdon Load Data site where 25 grs. to start and 27 grs. as max.. Two questions, would this work with the Speer 300 gr. Deep Curl bullet because it's a different bullet ? And I have read where Lyman's loading data list Lilgun at 30.8 grs. as max. load ? Any info on this would help. Thanks
Waynzee

Re: Speer 300 gr. Deep Curl and Lilgun powder?

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm

I would recommend slowing the powder down a step. H110 / W296 / 300MP are a better match but Lil Gun will get it done also. I've gone as high as 40.5gr 300MP with the Deepcurl / Gold Dots. They were seated short to catch the taper crimp in the cannelure. With a bolt gun, you can go a good deal longer at the price of not being able to crimp down into the cannelure but in a bolt gun, the rules are different. That longer COL would allow you to move up in charge past where I stopped in my AR.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Waynzee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks again Hoot, I'll give that H110 a try, I use the H110 in my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with good results.
Waynzee

Postby Decoy Defender » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Yes, you can load to those same specs even though the bullet is different. I've tried that combo a lot in my bolt gun and have still not found a charge combo that it likes, and I've been up PRETTY high in charge weights, in hopes of finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but no such luck. I've moved on to trying different powders instead of upping the charge of LG anymore. I wish you the best of luck in your hunt.
Decoy Defender

Return to Reloading for the 450b