large game bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

large game bullets

Postby Reiska » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 am

May I ask experiences regarding terminal ballistics of three bullets on large game, short range?
One is designed as a rifle bullet, two others as magnum handgun bullets.
Manufacturer descriptions are given below.
Could they possibly describe the tree products accurately?

Sierra Sports Master JSP 300
Designed for hunting, specifically for large bears, and for Handgun Metallic Silhouette competition with magnum calibers, this 300 grain #8630 Jacketed Soft Point bullet was introduced in 1989. Its construction ensures deep penetration on the largest game due to a heavy jacket and extremely hard 6% antimony core. ...It is not, however, recommended for deer-size game because of its hardness.

Hornady XTP Magnum 300
Designed for personal defense and medium-game hunting, XTP® Mag™ bullets provide the same controlled expansion, accuracy and dependability that have made XTP® bullets a favorite among target shooters and hunters alike. But XTP® Mag™ bullets are designed to take things a step further — withstanding the higher velocities and impacts of ultra-powerful, magnum handguns while delivering even deeper penetration than standard XTP® bullets.

Hornady SP Interlock 245
Our traditional line of bullets feature exposed lead tips for controlled expansion and hard-hitting terminal performance. Most have our pioneering secant ogive design — one of the most ballistically efficient profiles ever developed (see diagram to right). Most feature our exclusive InterLock® design — a raised ring inside the jacket that is embedded in the bullet's core that keeps the core and jacket locked together during expansion to retain mass and energy.
Reiska

Re: large game bullets

Postby plant_one » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:27 pm

why wouldnt they be accurate descriptions... hornady and sierra are two very well known bullet manufacturers and well trusted in their world.

as such - the sierra 8630 is a 44 mag bullet and too small (0.429") for our caliber.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/4 ... 00-gr-jsp/

the fact that hornady's XTP mag pistol bullets work well in our caliber is i'm sure as much a happy accident as anything. however their design characteristics put them right in the operating window for this caliber -at least when we consider what happens when metal meets meat.

the new 245 hornady interlock was purpose built for the caliber. giving bushmaster hunters a traditional cup/core soft point bullet to hunt with.
plant_one

Postby SAWMAN » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm

My expierance has been with the 300gr Hornady XTP Mag. I shot quite a few from a 6" 454Casull that was pushing 60,000psi loads.
I killed several of the bigger Maine deer with them. I'm talking about 300lbs "on the hoof". Also two medium sized black bear and one moose.
Great performance on all animals. Complete pass throughs on heart/lung area hits on the deer. A pass through on one bear and great (enough) penetration on the other.
From 30yds it completely shattered the going in shoulder of the moose. Made mush out of the top of the heart, and exited between two ribs on the offside.
Unfortunately,I lost my notes on the vels across my chrono. This was almost 20 years ago. ---- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Reiska » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Thank you very much, SAWMAN!
I did suspect things might be as you write.
The XTP Mag 300 looks very impressive. Very different from the XTP 230 I have in my closet.
I was suspecting Hornady description for the XTM Mag is rather generic and does not really emphasize the capacity of the 300 Mag.
Reiska

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:36 pm

I have shot deer with a smokeless ML and that 300gr Sierra at a guesstimated 2200fps and they blow holes thru them. I would have no reservations using them in the 450 for any sized game.
Al in Mi

Postby SAWMAN » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 pm

You should give a thought about using hardcast also.
I have shot tons of animals using the Cast Performance brand. Especially the WFNGC variety. They smash big heavy bone and penetrate deep and streight. No jacket to shed either.
Take a look. --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby GaCop » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:27 am

SAWMAN wrote:You should give a thought about using hardcast also.
I have shot tons of animals using the Cast Performance brand. Especially the WFNGC variety. They smash big heavy bone and penetrate deep and straight. No jacket to shed either.
Take a look. --- SAWMAN

+1! I've been testing loads with a 405 grain RNFP that is a former 45-70 bullet I resized to .452. Using Unique powder I'm getting velocities over 1000 fps from my 16 inch barrel with 1/16" twist.
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Postby SAWMAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:52 am

Also IMO - - -> you want to use either WFNGC or a WLNGC (hardcast) for game. Something with as flat of nose (wide meplate) as posslble. The WFNGC's that I use,and have used,cuts a permanent hole going in. It is akin to a cookie cutter. The hole stays open for blood leakage.
I try to put this type of bullet on bone. Heavy,thick bone, . . . BETTER !!
I have used this type of bullet in .416, .430,.452,.458,and .500. The .500" bullets meplate is > 1/3rd inch. ---- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Return to Reloading for the 450b