250gr Coated Hardcast Data?

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

250gr Coated Hardcast Data?

Postby Sbeduckman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:51 am

Hello all. New to the caliber, but not reloading, nor reloading cast. With that said, I generally am able to find published data. I have a supply of .452 250gr rnfp coated Hardcast (hardball) projectiles (Magma 45-250 mold). I'd like to use in an AR platform. I've not been able to track down data to this point, so I thought I'd start on the bottom end of 250gr jacketed and go from there. I've read through most of the stickied casted threads here, and can't find much reference to this particular bullet. Does my plan hold water? H110/296/4227 are my available powders that seem suitable.
Sbeduckman

Re: 250gr Coated Hardcast Data?

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:53 pm

I dont shoot cast in my MSR mostly just cause of powders/reliable gas and feeding.

My bolt loves 4198, 5744, 4759, Unique & Herco.

For jacketed I use #9 most often. If I had to choose two AA #9 hands down then 5744/Herco would be rough decision.

Again trouble is enough gas to reliably cycle while retaining acceptable accuracy.

Good luck

CW
cwlongshot

Postby s4s4u » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Sbeduckman wrote:Hello all. New to the caliber, but not reloading, nor reloading cast. With that said, I generally am able to find published data. I have a supply of .452 250gr rnfp coated Hardcast (hardball) projectiles (Magma 45-250 mold). I'd like to use in an AR platform. I've not been able to track down data to this point, so I thought I'd start on the bottom end of 250gr jacketed and go from there. I've read through most of the stickied casted threads here, and can't find much reference to this particular bullet. Does my plan hold water? H110/296/4227 are my available powders that seem suitable.

Brinell # ?
s4s4u

Postby Ridgley » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Lyman's AR reloading handbook lists loads for both 225 and 325 grain cast bullets that feed and cycle without leading (in their firearm). These should be fine with powder coated bullets as well. From what I have seen on most other sites jacketed loading data will function just fine for the 450, but accuracy might not be the best and leading could occur. Every firearm is a little different and to find a really good load even with jacketed bullets it take a bit of time to find what your firearm likes. Always start low and work up in half gain increments stopping at maximum loading data or less. Some people out there seem to be getting good to excellent accuracy with powder coated bullets with no lead and 100% reliability in their AR's. I have only been loading and shooting cast bullets for 50+ years and with good technique I have had excellent results. I have a 45+ year old Marlin 94 in 44 mag that I have been shooting Lyman's 429215 SWC gas checked bullets at over 1,800 fps with excellent accuracy and no leading. It has the micro groove rifling and should be shooing shotgun patterns and leading. Hard and fast rules don't always apply. I'm just starting out on my big adventure with powder coated bullets but expect them to be on par with cast bullets. We'll see, I let you know.
Ridgley

Postby cwlongshot » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Micro groove can shoot cast bullets just fine.

Everyone is so quick to blame.. seldom do they actually find the real problem.

I have many micro grrove thst have been shooting cast just as well as std or "ballard" rifling for decades!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 pm

I don’t plan on using cast in my AR but I do plan on using cast in my single shot and bolt action RAR.
I will be tinkering with the idea of copper gas checked in my AR but only after further research on how bad this might trash up my gas tube.
But I haven’t even started my casting project yet as my shop still is under construction.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby cwlongshot » Wed May 05, 2021 7:52 am

I agree, cast in a AR isnt something I shoot allot of. Many do with ZERO ISSUES! But Id just as soon not chance it esp when I have mon gas guns to shoot I dont "need" to shoot it.

CW
cwlongshot

Return to Reloading