Windham Weaponary upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Windham Weaponary upper

Postby Bob6364 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Windham Weaponry upper in 450b ,of course, as I have -0- experience with the 450b round i thought I would come ask the experts :) Yay or Nay?
Bob6364

Re: Windham Weaponary upper

Postby SAWMAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:59 am

I bought a complete 20" Bushmaster upper awhile back. Installed it on a complete Bushmaster lower,but have not shot it yet.
Which upper are you referring to ??
Mine is imprinted with "450 BUSHMASTER" on the left side. --- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 am

My first 8 or so years here were shot using a 20" Bushmaster upper on an RRA NM A2 lower. It did its part if I did mine and the chrome lined bore was easy to clean. That was from back before Bushmaster pulled up its tent stakes and left a lot of their talent behind in Windham, so I can't speak for current production Bushmaster uppers.
I did appreciate the extra 4 inches of barrel. Free velocity!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bob6364 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:25 pm

I guess the windham wasn't in the cards for me. I came home with a Ruger American 450b tonight. I'm got a nice little scope that has been waiting for the right rifle.
Bob6364

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Bob6364 wrote:I guess the windham wasn't in the cards for me. I came home with a Ruger American 450b tonight. I'm got a nice little scope that has been waiting for the right rifle.

Congrats on the new addiction!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 am

First thing...................Loctite those base screws down !!!!!

can't tell you how many RAR's I have seen and heard of accuracy issues that were traced back to loose bases.
Al in Mi

Postby SAWMAN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

New gun - -> Take base off and install a EGW base.
Clean screws and screw holes with alcohol. Under new base you will find "gunk". Clean receiver and base with alcohol. DO NOT LUBE ANYTHING. LEAVE DRY.
Install base screws using BLUE Loc-Tite or clear fingernail polish. Torque to specs + 5 in lbs.
Same with scope rings. I use a Brownells ring true and lapp kit. No ring marks on ANY of my scopes. --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:18 pm

SAWMAN wrote:New gun - -> Take base off and install a EGW base.
Clean screws and screw holes with alcohol. Under new base you will find "gunk". Clean receiver and base with alcohol. DO NOT LUBE ANYTHING. LEAVE DRY.
Install base screws using BLUE Loc-Tite or clear fingernail polish. Torque to specs + 5 in lbs.
Same with scope rings. I use a Brownells ring true and lapp kit. No ring marks on ANY of my scopes. --- SAWMAN

While I understand the need not to get oil where Loctite is going, i don't agree with leaving the two mating surfaces (rcvr and base) dry. I've been supplementing my retirement with gunsmithing work for friends and club members. Twice now, I've removed bases and found the blued surface(s) with rust pitting from accumulated humidity/rain that wicked under the base. My approach is to degrease the holes and screws, then install the screws down as far as they will go. I then wipe the bottom of the base and receiver with a cloth barely moistened with Eezox (or your favorite rust preventative). I then wipe off any excess with a clean paper towel, carefully unscrew the screws, then loctite the base on. That small remainder of Eezox on the mating surfaces can make a world of difference over totally degreased, over time.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Bob6364 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Lots of good info here, thanks.
Bob6364

Postby SAWMAN » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:59 am

My thoughts - -> oil or grease between two mating metal surfaces reduces friction.
A clean dry surface induces more friction.
Which one will help mitigate inertia ?? --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles