Anybody tried these mags yet?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Anybody tried these mags yet?

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 pm

Claims they work unmodified with 450b, hold 16 and 21 rounds of 450b...I'm ordering one of each to check this out, will post results when I get them... :?:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910885554

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916668868
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Anybody tried these mags yet?

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:07 am

commander faschisto wrote:Claims they work unmodified with 450b, hold 16 and 21 rounds of 450b...I'm ordering one of each to check this out, will post results when I get them... :?:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910885554

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916668868

I gotta say, the coiled spring is an innovative approach. Hopefully it'll help keep the noses pointed up when its loaded deeply. Makes sense if it holds its tension over time. Funny that no one that I can recall, has ever taken that kind of two spring approach on hi-cap mags. Can't wait to see your report when it arrives. That is one TALL magazine, It may make it hard to shoot off of a bench.

Edit: Looks like the coiled spring anchor point may interfere with the typical half moon cut on the front of AR mags converted to 450b. Guess we'll see.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 am

Yep...I want to disassemble these and see what exactly they've got going on internally. They appear to be a brilliant solution to the "keep the nose up" problem with other designs. We shall see.

The 21-rounder, for sure, may not be a great choice for bench shooting, without making accommodation of some sort for length...not sure I want to cut a hole in my Stable Table...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 pm

Just got the Torkmag (35-rd.) in today! Ok, so...it does indeed hold the 450b rounds in the correct slightly nose-up orientation. Good. Stock coil spring is quite strong; you need to use a speed loader to push the cartridges down into the mag with one hand and push the next round in with the other. This spring seems unnecessarily strong for the 450b, as most stock springs are, and I will gradually remove coils to balance loading pressure with feed reliability (later.) The base plate and coil spring are removable as per standard mags. The front "clock" spring and the follower are not supposed to be removed, but can be cleaned in situ without removing them. I did a quick feed check using the charging handle and bolt release, but that really doesn't prove a lot...nevertheless, it worked just fine. Range time for adjusting spring strength and checking "live" feed reliability is TBA...we shall see.

They make three sizes of these mags, 35-, 40- and 50-rounders Personally not sure I would ever need/want the two larger ones, but they are there if you want to try them. None of them are really expensive, all are $13-18 at the moment.

Edit: Hootster wondered about the position of the anchor point for the "clock" spring...turns out, it is well below the case mouth position of the loaded rounds, so no interference noted...yet.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby leadtag101 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Commander have you had a chance to try these yet? Chomping at the bit to see how they work. Thanks
leadtag101

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:40 pm

Soon, very soon...laid new wood laminate floor in the house hallways today; got church and Christmas concert to play in tomorrow; Monday is range day!

NOTE: I noticed an interesting detail about these mags while closely inspecting with the glasses-off, very nearsighted MK1 eyeballs...the hard polymer material these are made of is fairly heavy gauge stuff, of course. This has allowed them to cast a slight upward taper in the vertical edges of the feed lips, which also helps tilt the cartridges in a nose-up position, using the upward spring pressure to hold them against the tapered edges of the feed lips. Very clever, indeed!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby leadtag101 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:13 pm

Awesome! Cant wait for the range report. kind of disheartening trying several mags brands to no avail of reliability. Maybe their is some hope with these. Although if it has the standard hump that you have with 5.56 followers I cant envision these working to well. who knows.
leadtag101

Postby leadtag101 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Well received a 35 round Torkmag today stuffed 12 rounds of Hornady 250 grn Flex tip and hand cycled all the rounds, no hang-ups at all, cycled smoothly, will take to the range on Saturday.
leadtag101

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:37 am

Yo bro!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby leadtag101 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:16 am

Well finally got out Christmas Day and killed two birds with one stone with my new rifle. Got to sight in a new scope I got for Christmas which was the Leopold 450 Bushmaster model and it was awesome! All the while proving out the new 35 round magazine that was so far flawless in chambering and cycling etc. My AR looks to be a shooter as well! I would clean and shoot 3 rounds, clean and shoot, the middle dead center group was the last group I shot before it started tightening up which is the 3 round group in the lower right corner.
I only got to put around 30 rounds due to the weather being only 20 above with the wind blowing here outside of Bozeman Montana where I live and having to be home for Christmas dinner.
I put two more of those magazines on order, the 35 round ones. Look very promising. I did not load fully to 16 rounds but loaded to 12. When the weather gets a little nicer and warmer will go out and prove out some more. Magazine does stick out a bit further than a standard 30 round FYI
Attachments
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg (105.32 KiB) Viewed 15300 times
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg (117.2 KiB) Viewed 15300 times
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 15299 times
leadtag101

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles